Skip to main content

Iaido Demo for the 2014 Japanese Festival

The 2014 Japanese Festival was held in Marion Dewar Plaza (a.k.a. The Rink of Dreams in front of City Hall).

I arrived at 11:30 and got into my gi and hakama. Next up was some sunscreen.

My dojo, Tateyama Kendo and Iaido Club, and several others were there to show what we do.

As I was taking my sword out to get ready, the part (kuri-gata) that connects the cord (sageo) to the saya (scabbard), came loose! I ended up borrowing one that was longer and annoying to work with as I had to constantly have a firm grasp on the sword guard (tsuba) with my left hand or my sword would easily fall out of the saya.

I didn't know what to say when someone suggested my sword might be faker than a theater sword. My sword isn't ornamental... It's a real sword, just unsharpened. The way it is made, it can't be sharpened. That doesn't make it fake. It's made for practicing, not to look pretty in a theater or on TV. They don't use live blades either and my sword is from Tozando in Japan.

At noon, we were up.

First our Jodo practitioners went. I'm not sure the crowd was feeling it. That could be because it was such a change from the Japanese sitar-style performer that came before.

Then it was Iaido. I kept trying every kata but Kesagiri as I was having trouble remembering how Kesagiri started. I performed Ganmen-ate like Tsuka-ate. I did a yoko chiburi instead of an o chiburi on Sanpogiri. I was a mess, but the crowd couldn't tell and several complimented me later. I think I got a little taste of what grading will be like for me unless I practice my kata a lot more.

Kendo was next.

Next, Takahashi Dojo showed their Jodo, Iaido, and Kendo. They did some things slightly different than we did, such as explaining more to the crowd.

It got rather warm to stay in my gi and hakama, so I changed out of it and put more sunscreen on. I couldn't afford to get burnt with my last roller derby game on tap for the evening.

There were Aikido demonstrations that also had some swordplay, but they would attack from behind. We don't do that.

Judo came after that. I wasn't clear on the difference between Judo and Jiu-jitsu while watching it.

I enjoyed the drumming segment. Here is a clip.

My boss was there and stuffed himself on complementary Japanese style hot dogs that came with seaweed on them.

My saya is currently curing to be ready for class on Tuesday.

- Roy Iaidoka

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...