Skip to main content

What is given...

Today's proverb is, "What is given to a neighbour is not lost."

I don't know my neighbours. Do you?

According to this article, many people are too busy to bother socializing with our neighbours and only talk to them to ask favours of them. One of my neighbours believes there is a thief on my floor, so I wouldn't even want to ask a neighbour to accept a parcel or water plants for me.

I think part of it is the fast-paced culture we live in that affords us little time for recreation. How many people today simply want to get home from work and watch Netflix or hang out on a deck/patio with people they know they like?

Some, like me, may be legitimately busy between multiple activities. I don't want to draw attention to my busy schedule given the thief. I don't know there is a thief for sure, but I don't really want to find out whether or not it's true. The neighbour that told me that is a generally negative person with a sad outlook on life. That said, I don't like to be around negativity if I can avoid it, so I don't want a deeper relationship with that neighbour.

After spending all day at work forced to do things you often don't agree with, why wouldn't you want to come home and finally be doing exactly what you want to be doing with your loved ones. Inviting other people into your life changes it and may mean less time to do things you want to do. Not everyone likes change. Some people are terrified of change. Some have had too much change in recent times to be ready to handle more. Some LOVE change. We've all had those people that latch onto us though.

On the plus side, you may find a new friend that is awesome too. You may find someone that really gets you. It's also good to have people to hang out with that are close by when winter comes, so you don't have to travel in bad weather to have fun and it can be comforting to have a friend nearby in stormy times.

Back to the proverb, "What is given to a neighbour is never lost." I value independence. Taking from others isn't being independent. Asking for help when you are incapable of achieving on your own is something I agree with, but constantly running to someone else when you are capable is lazy.

Sharing is awesome, but how many people have lent a neighbour something only to never see it again?

The spirit of this proverb, I believe, is that in giving to a neighbour you enrich your community. There are many ways to improve your community without taking this proverb overly literal. Find something that works for you and do it. When my novel is done, I'm hoping to donate a portion of what I make on it to a charity. I better get to finishing it!

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...