Skip to main content

If wishes were horses...

Yesterday, I bought a proverb calendar. I thought it might be interesting and inspiring for story writing. I realize half the year is over and that it seems silly to buy a 2014 calendar now, but sometimes I'm silly.

Today's proverb is, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

In other words, instead of spending life wishing something was better, come up with an action plan to make it better. You are in control of your own happiness.

For some people, that might be scary, but not all things require huge amounts of effort or commitment, at least at the start.

Take a journey, for example. What does a journey begin with? One step.

A novel? One word.

Of course, before you know it, another word happens. Then another. Suddenly you have a sentence, a paragraph, a scene, a chapter, another chapter, more chapters, a first draft, etc.

I'm at the more chapters stage with my first novel and all the while climbing closer to a first draft. It's a jumble of hair-pulling excitement, self-induced insanity, soul-rending frustration, and periodic delirium. Writing a novel means constant decision-making, cursing myself for the problems I've created that I now need to solve, and philosophizing about whether my character would do/say/know anything.

This makes descriptive text challenging. I have a scene where my character is walking down a hallway on a spaceship. I've decided the walls look like apologia. Given that my character is from another planet, even if they know what apologia is and looks like, it's probably not called apologia on their planet. This means I have to describe it entirely based on appearance. Why don't I just say the walls were blue? It's not interesting. Besides, would you rather see a plain blue wall on a spaceship or something that reminds you of some kind of biological organism? It's a friggin' spaceship!

So ignore all my banter if you're just starting out. One step. One word. That's all you need to get going. Take a chance and let me know how it goes.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...