Skip to main content

Kenshokan Visit - July 26, 2014

I visited a friend in Peterborough, Ontario this weekend. Peterborough is a lovely city with an unfortunate lack of employment. It's located in the Land of Lakes or Kawarthas in Ontario.

From 9 am to Noon, we practiced Iaido. This is double the length of my usual practice time, so I am a bit sore today. Apparently, part of my soreness is likely related to having an incorrect, a.k.a. "Death Grip" on the tsuka (handle). My friend showed me how to fix it and it's similar to how one grips a steering wheel on a car. This should make my muscles less fatigued, stop my right hand from sliding, and improve my cutting technique.

I did a lot of work on Juppon-me Shihogiri. I need to ensure I am hitting low enough on the hand strike while keeping my heel on the ground, that my heels have the correct placement for the stab (my right heel is the issue), step with the left foot to make the first cut, stop pausing so much in between each movement as it's supposed to flow, and I think I'm okay with the final cut.

I've identified why I often do noto improperly. Doing noto properly makes the blade run across my breast. I know I won't have a cutting edge for about 15 years from now, but I'm sure my blade shouldn't be there ever. My friend suggested I try the shinden version of noto instead. I'll have to check with my sensei to see if that would be acceptable.

We also worked on Ju Ippon-me Sougiri, which is probably my favourite kata of the setei set. Cut one to the face, two from shoulder to solar plexus, three from ribs to belly button, four slice left to right across the hip/lower abdominals area, and five a center cut from head to obi.

I've been using my arm muscles too much while cutting and it's more about using the obliques and whatever muscles are at the side ribs. I'm rather bony there, so I'm doubtful that I have muscles there currently, but my friend assures me they are there. He said it's also about using your quadriceps.

We also worked on Ju Nihon-me Nukiuchi. The main thing for this one is to ensure you get yourself out of the way of your attacker, then don't waste time before cutting them down. I have to remember to step forward at the end since this is one of the few where we step back at the beginning.

We also worked on Ippon-me Mae because everything is Mae. I'm not sure I fully understand how everything is Mae, but I have no doubt that one day I will. My friend corrected my technique to ensure that I will actually be cutting the person as before I would likely miss. I have to remember to push my right hip forward, which makes the sword tip reach out farther without screwing up my balance.

We did some Nihon-me Ushiro also. The points from Ippon-me Mae apply, but I also need to take less sword out as I'm pivoting and I'm afraid I forget the last bit.

After Iaido, we hit the pub for some grub, which was great because after the 3 hours, I was starving! It was great seeing the people I met at the Guelph seminar again!!!

Hopefully, I can apply all my learnings to my technique going forward.

I want to thank Wilson Sensei for letting me drop-in and practice with the club :)

-Roy Iaidoka

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...