Skip to main content

Small changes

Where has the time gone by?

So here's what I've accomplished since Sunday:

- 475 words
- an oil change
- a quiz for my Coursera course (92%)
- a filling in my lower left (freezing gave me a huge adrenaline spike)
- this blog post (desperate for list items)
- groceries (more desperation)
- found a white noise sound that is nice and boring
- read a little farther into Wuthering Heights (now on page 124)
- attended a DiSC training session
- booked a meeting with one possible vendor for my work project and have an email thread going with another

That's it.

I'm still feeling frozen from the dentist today and a little weird. I've had panic attacks before, but this was a whole other level. They froze me in the jaw hinge and my heart started racing (thought I was having a heart attack), my ears went all funny, and I couldn't believe they were chatting on so mundanely about toothpaste as I felt like I was under attack. My overly logical brain thankfully comes in handy in situations like that. I calmed myself down and forced air into my lungs rather than freaking out.

I tried blowing my nose earlier and every time I blew it, it sounded like I was farting with my mouth. I couldn't help but laugh at myself and the noise. I often feel rather pathetic after the dentist does a filling as my face feels like it is swollen and I have a baseball attached to it. Of course, this is when people seem most apt to chat me up.

I enjoyed the training session I went to this week though I've done one before on DiSC. The best part was that this trainer said it's not about changing ourselves, but just making small shifts in how we communicate with different people. He said to stay our wonderful selves, which is not usually what one hears from those types of training sessions. A large portion of my workplace is C like me.

My morning person course is about making small changes. My Coursera course is about learning in small bits. I'm learning it's more about forming good habits and doing things in small manageable chunks. This is also how my day profession is.

With my writing, I am at war with myself because I want to make it perfect (even though I know that's not possible), but I also really want to get it out to market!

I'm a little bit stuck, but it's okay because I have an assignment to finish tonight for my Coursera course, which finishes next week. I think on the book front, I need to find reference for training for magical battles with a bunch of newbies. Not sure what that Internet search looks like, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...