Skip to main content

Hems galore

Today in sewing class we did some basic techniques and machine hems.

First we stitched on paper:

image

My spiral went wonky, but the triangle was good. We also did a 5/8, a 3/8, and a 1/4 inch stitch.

The 1/4 inch stitch was easier on the paper than the fabric. My teacher adjusted the tension on my machine and rethreaded because I was putting my thread through a piece that is only needed for filling a bobbin, apparently. Things went better, but I had to start sewing further up the piece or it would catch the edges of my fabric in a funny way and try to eat the fabric instead of sew it.

We did French vertical seams on our "pant legs", which were a 3/8 seam followed by pressing it open then sewing a 1/4 seam. The end result is like a seam that has been encapsulated.

Inside of pant leg (It's the middle seam):

image

Raised view of French seam:image

Next we did a double jean hem, which is 5/8 and you try to sew it as close to the edge as possible. Outside of pant leg:

image

Inside of pant leg:image

Finally we did a blind double hem with a first fold of *I think 3/8* followed by a fold of 1 inch. They kind of suck on most machines and are better to be hand sewn, especially for dress clothes. Outside of pant leg:

image

Inside of pant leg:image

I learned a lot in only 2 hours. We also went over the hand wheel.

I forgot to ask her some questions that are advanced, which are on my mind. I guess I'll just email her on those things as I'm trying to make my bedroom curtains more sound absorbing and want to know if I can just buy the foam backing somewhere in town rather than buy new curtains.

Well, now I'm off to make cheese that is dairy-free and yeast-free as I plan to make a gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, yeast-free lasagna with beef. I found an organic pasta sauce without citric acid, and apparently I can make the egg & cottage cheese like part with tofu. The cheese is made from almond milk, raw cashews, gelatin and pine nuts along with some spices. I hope it works out.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...