Skip to main content

2015 ROW80 - Round 1, Check 2

I'm doing okay on this challenge. In five days I've written 1,354 words. I need to do about 250 words a day to reach 20,000 in 80 days, which means I should be at 1,250, so I'm slightly ahead.

I'm slowly getting things done around the house while writing, but my dishes and laundry could use some drastic attention. Tomorrow I have writers group, so other than lunch time I'm not likely to get too much done on my book, but the group meetings are always amazing for inspiration and knowledge. Later this week, I intend to attend a Steampunk Ottawa event because it's been a while since I last saw those people. Speaking of Steampunk Ottawa, I've registered for sewing classes to improve my costume-making skills. $150 for 3 courses, which are supposed to take me through a lot of sewing material. Sorry, that was a little bit punny. I'm also taking a Coursera course for free on learning how to learn. I figured it was a good one to test out that would help me learn best from other future courses. So far the information is interesting. My first assignment for that is due this week, so I best get at it.

I'm probably trying to do too much at once, but I'm enjoying myself and living life. I'm keeping busy with my martial arts and I'm also taking breaks for things like video games, painting, and leisure reading. I have direction and goals I'm pursuing. Even if I hadn't met my writing goals this week, I'd feel good about it because I'm working on my book while balancing the demands of day-to-day work and life. Time to write an essay.

CIao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...