Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - Helping Out



I'm revising my stance again on nonviolence. Earlier this week, I wrote a poem for a contest. I was struck with the idea to write about the history of the world in the form of news headlines. Being a person who predominately lives in the present with an eye on the future, I had to research a lot in a very short time. Violence seems to unfortunately be the only way jerks get the message to F off. 

I learned nonviolence was first proposed by the church to control those of different faiths. Then by the British as they warred with everyone multiple times. 

I learned that protests and marches likely won't be enough. We'll have to do more and be more. For some, that will mean bleeding. For others, that will mean supporting troops. And some will stay to keep their countries running.

I hate that this is the future I see right now because it is so far from the future I want. 

What does that look like?

Harmony. People uniting regardless of faith, gender, class, etc. Perhaps even the elimination of classes altogether. A world where respect is paramount. Where everyone has access to the things they need and want so long as another isn't harmed. To some degree it might not be possible as the act of eating, whether meat or vegetable, necessitates the death of something else. 

A world of live and let live.

As a martial artist, now is a time where I feel training is one thing that will help me get through the turmoil one man has caused in the entire world. Martial arts trains the mind, body, and soul if you let it. I'm frustrated that my body resists. That my tendons retaliate against what I want. It will take me longer to get where I want to be.

I can also distract myself with music, language learning, reading, fiction writing, and perhaps a new job. Forcing oneself to disengage will also help weather the storms ahead. 

Self-Care will also be important. In learning to distract oneself, it will help me turn it off and get rest. Eating healthy will ensure my body performs as well as it can. 

Now is a time to figure out what makes sense for you. Maybe the answer is moving away. Maybe it's enlisting. Maybe it's working somewhere that supports troops. Maybe it's reporting the real news. Maybe it's translating communiques. 

There will be many ways that each of us can help.

Salut,

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...