Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - Cold War

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

As today's post needs to include both martial arts and cold, I wondered about martial arts that may have been used during the cold war. Well, an Internet search got me to the website of Impact Martial Arts who have a tournament called Cold War. That wasn't at all what I was seeking, but it could have been much worse.

That's how research goes sometimes.

Of course, it doesn't help me that I don't know enough about the actual Cold War in order to figure out where to search for martial arts that may have been in use during it. Now, technically one could say all fighting done by a military is martial, but I think you know I'm trying to find out about arts such as karate, taekwondo, tai chi, BJJ, and more.

It also doesn't help that I'm very much a person who lives in the present day.

Eventually, I found a bit on an art called Systema. Systema sounds more like the original way people learned to fight. What do I mean by that? Today, it's really common to learn an art that focuses on a specific skill. For example, Jiu-Jitsu is a lot of grappling and ground work whereas Iaido has a large focus on drawing a sword and cutting immediately. As my Sensei has told me, originally there was no need for so many arts because warriors studied all of them and just used whatever technique fit whichever situation they found themselves in. If they were fighting in close proximity, they'd probably do karate or jiu-jitsu style moves. If further away, a sword or staff was likely to be useful.

Systema combines grappling, firearms, knives, and hand-to-hand combat with pressure points. It seems to be more comprehensive than many other arts today.

As you might have guessed given the connection to The Cold War, Systema hails from Russia.

Here's a little video showing some Systema moves.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...