Skip to main content

Theatrical Tuesday - Cold Reading

TuesdayIn theatre, it's quite common to have to read something aloud that one has never laid eyes on before. This is called Cold Reading. The most common times it happens is the first time one gets a script or at an audition.

It's can be a bit uncomfortable. Often, I've felt as if I'm being scrutinized on how well I step into a role I've never seen before. I might not know anything about the character.

This happened a lot during my 9:00AM Monday class that is now complete. We would be given a play to read and I often didn't know anything about it or its characters. I'd get barely a moment to skim and try to get a sense of what the character was about.

Professional actors probably have to do this regularly. It's almost like presenting something you haven't researched. In my limited experience, it's common to do some parts of the read through well and some completely wrong. A good director will help one get the tone right.

I've gotten to a point in my life where I didn't get too uncomfortable about it, but that may have been because the stakes weren't overly high. It wasn't as if I was trying to impress anyone or ensure my bills were going to be paid. No, I was just trying to get the marks I needed for the course and to stave off boredom while others read. It also let me recapture some of my old acting days.

I'm not sure if I will act in the future or not. It's possible. My main focus is writing and I don't see that changing in the immediate future. Stranger things have happened though.

Speaking of my writing, I've made many of the changes I've been wanting to on this site. Many items have been moved under a new portfolio section. I will be filling that out more in the coming months.

School is optional today and I'm thinking about staying home to work on my condo now that my homework is done. I can also use some time to look over notes for my Thursday class that has a quiz. I want to work on my accent wall today and do some painting on the weekend. Plus, it's too gorgeous outside, I need groceries, and my skateboard is available for pickup after 1:00 PM.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...