Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - Cold Success

bitmoji_goalsWell, my week of holding back ended with a seminar that was coincidentally about a martial art that has holding back as an integral point. On Saturday, I did an entire afternoon of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, which is the study of the life-giving sword. It's goal is to leave your opponent with a warning blow rather than killing them. It was such a fascinating change from the usual and fit with where I am in my life and career.

Sorry, I got too busy to post with all the homework I've had.  It's the last week of school and after today, all I'll have left is one assignment and a couple of quizzes. We still have a couple of lessons, but mostly they're about what we should do to be successful as new screenwriters.

This week's theme is cold. That's what came out of the bag randomly.

In terms of success, I think it's common to feel like one is getting colder as they draw nearer to a major breakthrough. At least, I keep reading that successful people have found that they made it after they thought they should give up. And I feel that. It wears on one to keep fighting to get some basic level of income going, especially in a town that wants everyone to be bilingual. I'm working on that, but it isn't something that changes overnight. Many of my skills mean nothing to a lot of places simply because I don't speak French well enough.

Right now, there's a ton of potential in my life, but nothing yet that will pay my mortgage. It's rather scary, but it is what it is. I've been applying for jobs and networking. Hopefully something will happen soon.

Goals wise, I have to fix up my website and do some quizzes then all my school work is done. After that, I'd like a little trip to see my family since I haven't seen them since Christmas. Oh, I guess I better get my summer tires on too. After a breather that includes some video gaming and condo painting, it'll be back at the writing and more job searching until I get enough going on to pay my bills while I search for a producer for my feature film and fix up one of my plays. One movie, one play, and one novel are what I want to focus on for personal writing projects. Doing somewhere around eight things at once was a little bit much during the school year.

I guess cold hard cash is really what I'm aiming for at this time.

Anyway, that's my general plan. I have it laid out more specifically than that in my career plan that I gave my teacher.

Oh, I plan to date too ;)

And also learn to skateboard. We'll see how that goes. I'm looking forward to it. There's a small skate park near my house to learn at.

I'm off for my last 9:00 AM class, which I'm thankful of because it was a pain getting across the entire city for 9:00 AM.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...