Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - 9 Fantastic Females

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignnone" width="1020"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

It's Warrior Wednesday and today's number is 9. Today I'm doing a brief profile on several of the world's best female martial artists.

*Please note that I don't own any of the photos.*

1. Iaido - Atsumi Hatakenaka

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500"] Photo from the 2016 Canadian National Iaido Championships.[/caption]

Of course I had to start with my main art. When talking about Iaido, it's Atsumi Hatakenaka for me. She is an amazing woman to look up to. Not only is she skilled, but she once told me she hopes to bring peace to the world through Iaido. Hatakenaka Sensei is an eighth level black belt. She cross trains with hot yoga. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of Hatakenaka Sensei.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="662"] Photo from Centro México Asia[/caption]

Pam Parker Sensei is one of the only westerners and the first female in the world to be awarded a Nanadan in Iaido, so I need to mention her. To be awarded a seventh level black belt in Iaido is rather rare for someone living outside of Japan. It is as much about character and manners as it is about skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsBoMT-Rpnk&t=144s

2. Taekwondo - Zheng Shuyin

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="900"] Photo from China Daily[/caption]

Zheng Shuyin won the Olympic gold medal in the heavyweight division in the 2016 Summer Olympics. China hadn't won gold since 2004.

3. MMA - Sarah Kaufman a.k.a. The Knockout Artist



Canadian Sarah Kaufman recently achieved the Invicta FC bantamweight title. Not only is she a persistent and skilled fighter, but Sarah is also well-educated. You can watch her fight against Miesha Tate here.

4. Kung Fu - Lily Lau

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="1920"] Dimitris Doukas[/caption]

Grandmaster Lily Lau is the first and only woman to take over a Kung Fu System and teach openly as a Kung Fu Master. More about her here: http://laufatmangeagleclaw.com/

5. Kendo - Mizuho Matsumoto

Mizuho Matsumoto is the current women's kendo champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYi-msZ1Y7s

6. Karate - Rika Usami

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="1526"] Photo from Blackwater Martial Arts[/caption]

Watch World Champion Rika Usami as she performs a kata and you can guess why she's the champion. The skill, focus, and fire she wields at just the right moments is breath-taking.

With the next championships later this month, will Rika still be on top?

7. Sumo Wrestling - Bum-Erdene Tuvshinjargal

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="800"] Photo from India Live  Today[/caption]

Bum-Erdene Tuvshinjargal is an accomplished wrestler despite a restriction against going pro. She is an inspiring woman. More on Tuvshinjargal here.

More female sumo wrestlers..

8. Wushu - Suijin Chen

Suijin is the current champion of the Women's Taolu. Here is her winning performance.

9. Various - J.J. "Golden Dragon" McParland

 

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="1200"] Photo from The Huddersfield Daily Examiner[/caption]

What list of fantastic female martial artists would be complete without Jesse-Jane McParland? You've probably heard of her. Her audition at Britain's Got Talent went rather viral. She is a young woman who has won many championships. She is also an actress. Jesse practices a wide variety of martial arts and is said to have studied karate, taekwondo, and kung-fu. Here's a more recent one than her audition. It comes in weapon-less and sword varieties. Below is the sword version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlaTGrCwid8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Mhh0GptkA

But Jesse isn't just flashy. Here she is performing kumite (sparring).

 

I would've liked to choose some less well known arts, such as Capoeira, but I could not find a female mestre of any level. Systema is another art I had difficulty finding out about. Women practice it, but it doesn't seem to have a ranking system and the fighters don't seem to be well-documented. If you are a woman in these arts, start documenting who the people are that you can look up to and keep practicing. There are many other arts such as judo, hapkido, BJJ, etc. that I couldn't fit in the list of nine. It would be really something to know who are the key practitioners in some of the more rare arts too.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...