Skip to main content

Theatrical Tuesday - 5 Faves in Each Genre

TuesdayToday's number is 5, which is perfect because I've been wanting to write this post anyway.

At the beginning of the school year, my teacher had us list our five favourite films. It felt cruel to pick only five and I had a very hard time with it. What did I pick? Well, I tried to go with a mix of the films that impressed me the most and the ones that I've watched time and again.

Here they are:

1. Feds
2. The Godfather
3. Gremlins
4. Dead Poet's Society
5. Edward Scissorhands

But it's not enough, so I've been wanting to do a new list of five per genre ever since. This exercise has taught me that there are so many movies I haven't seen yet! Based on what I have seen, here they are in no particular order. Yes, some of them are technically rather awful and cheesy, but I love them anyway.

Action/Adventure

- The Long Kiss Goodnight
- The Seven Samurai
- Kill Bill
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Pretty much anything Jason Statham is in.

Animated

- Spirited Away
- Team America World Police
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
- Wall-E
- Kubo and the Two Strings

Christmas

- Die Hard
- The Ref
- Home Alone
- Santa's Slay
- Miracle on 34th Street

Comedies

- Dogma
- Feds
- Juno
- Coyote Ugly
- Office Space

Crime

- The Godfather
- The Shawshank Redemption
- Hackers
- The Untouchables
- Pulp Fiction

Drama

- Dead Poet's Society
- Atlas Shrugged
- Fight Club
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Shindler's List

Fantasy

- Star Wars (Space operas are fantasy, not sci-fi)
- Harry Potter
- LotR
- Edward Scissorhands
- The Neverending Story

Historical

- Braveheart
- The King's Speech
- Hacksaw Ridge
- La Bamba
- Hidden Figures

Horror

- Gremlins
- Underworld
- Stigmata
- Final Destination
- Jaws

Musicals

- Cannibal the Musical
- Hairspray
- The Sound of Music
- Grease
- Sister Act

Romance

- The Notebook
- 10 Things I Hate About You
- Save the Last Dance
- Dirty Dancing
- Sex and the City

Sci-Fi

- The Matrix
- Terminator 2
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- Jurassic Park
- Aliens

Sports

- The Mighty Ducks
- Whip It
- Rudy
- Rocky
- Any Given Sunday

Superhero

- Wonder Woman
- The Dark Knight
- Deadpool
- Kick-Ass
- The Crow

Thriller

- Psycho
- Silence of the Lambs
- Seven
- The Usual Suspects
- Chinatown (I guess. Really, I need to watch a lot more thrillers)

What are some of your favourite films?

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...