Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - A Number of Goals

bitmoji_goalsNumbers are this week's theme, so I rolled a D20 (20-sided gaming dice) for each day to get a number related to the day.

Today's number is 6.

Some people undoubtedly read that in their minds as if they were watching Sesame Street.

Anyway, so now comes the fun part of figuring out what this number means in relation to my goals. I've decided it's an update on them limited to six categories.

1. Novels

I've completed the edit of Chapter 2 and am moving on to Chapter 3 on The Page & The Magician. I've sorted Scion and The Blood Waitress Club into the priority list.

2. Screenplays

I have submitted my first feature, Puppy Chow, to two contests and also to a friend for feedback. I couldn't wait for his feedback first because they were May 1st and 3rd deadlines. I received feedback back from the one contest on the first 10 pages. It was mostly positive. They said I can write and that I needed to work on my characterization and pacing to make the tone clearer. Basically, I have too much going on in the first 10 pages and need to slow it down a bit. So I'll be working on fixing that in my writing. I suspected I had a pacing issue in my writing in general, but had no extra time to fix it while writing a bajillion things all at once this past eight or so months. I've sent the revised 1-pager treatment to my teacher for feedback and will be sending it to a contact at an agency hopefully soon.

I've also begun character development for my next feature. I found a 7-page template, so my next protagonist will be more deeply planned out than I've done previously.

3. Plays

I have not done a lot here, but will be revising Crisis soon. It takes a lot more out of me to work on that piece than many of my other projects did this year. It's the reason I got trained to give Naloxone injections.

4. Home

Okay, I'm behind in a lot of things here. I merged my two to-do lists into one and am way more productive. I have to tweak it a little further because I have too many tasks with large lists of sub-tasks and I find that should only be for long projects like my novels. I find it helps my motivation levels to be able to move things over to the done column. It's a visual reminder of progress. I also have plans to get rid of some clutter and finish painting my living room. I completed a lot of folding and some laundry. I've also begun shifting the furniture, so I can work on my accent wall.

5. Job Hunting

This has been taking up most of my time. I've been meeting with an employment counselor and I revised my resumes. I'm also in talks with someone about a potential opportunity. I've been applying to jobs, connecting with people, getting involved in things that may not pay yet, but will be good for my career in the long run. I've done some English transcription in between everything else. I'm revising some other past projects for submitting to other opportunities that might lead to paid work too. I plan to pound the pavement this week and drop by some places with my resume because, who knows?

6. School

School is over and my lowest mark is an A, but I have less A+ marks than last semester. I'm hoping I'll still be on the Dean's Honours List. I guess I'll find that out soon enough. I'm really proud of that. I didn't apply myself as much in past educational pursuits. Mostly, I'm doing so much still that I feel like I haven't really left school. The main difference is that I don't have several teachers I need to submit things to all on the same day.

And that's pretty much everything I've been up to since last Monday.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...