Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - Electing to Succeed

bitmoji_goalsIt's election week in Ontario though advanced voting started last week. Thus, the theme for this week is born.

But other than mentioning that I'm working the election as a tabulator, I'm not actually going to spend a bunch of time talking about the election because I really don't want to.  People will be handing me their votes in a cardboard folder to feed into the vote counting machine. Tomorrow, I train for it, Wednesday I pick up my machine, Thursday is the election, and Friday there's some sort of debrief.

So what am I going to talk about? Electing to succeed. What do I mean by that? I mean choosing the path that will lead to your own definition of success.

For example, yes, there are many things I *can* do for work, but if I apply to everything I could possibly do, I know it won't lead to me having a reasonable amount of happiness. Some jobs are more demanding than others and could leave me in a position where I'm making money, but have no time to write.

That's not my definition of success. It wouldn't make me happy. Success to me is having a decent job and being able to pursue my art. I don't need to be getting wealthy off my day job to be happy. I don't need to have the kind of income that lets me buy every new gadget that comes out or travel to every country. I need a position that uses my skills to help others while giving me enough to cover my expenses with a little bit extra to put towards debt and some social events.

But it may take a while to get that job. So I'm also pursuing other positions that give me skills I don't currently have.

I have a multi-step plan.

I'm electing to succeed in the short term and building myself a path for future success.

There are a lot of things going on right now. For example, I got fingerprints done today and my internship is keeping me busy. I'm also self-studying a couple of things to boost my employ-ability. These things will also help my art.

Speaking of my art, I haven't done much lately because I've been so busy figuring out my path and applying to jobs, but I'll be getting back at it with more vigor than ever  once election week is over. I have a feeling I'll be wanting to hermit regardless of the result...

I feel so fortunate to have good friends helping me through this transition! I don't know where I'd be without them.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...