Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - Sit



I've had far too many of the people that are supposed to help me tell me to sit and wait. Not on everything, but on the things that would actually get me employed sooner rather than waiting for months. Sitting around collecting a cheque that doesn't cover half of your expenses isn't how to get back to a place of prosperity or ensure you don't become homeless.

It takes real action.

So while waiting for the possibility that some company may eventually call me for an interview, I'm done sitting around in the interim. I've signed up for some flexible work doing deliveries. I'm done listening to fear-mongering about self-employment. Now I'm waiting to be approved to start.

And while that is happening, I've been creating myself a schedule that includes blocked off writing time. I edited two chapters today.

Tomorrow I meet with my job coach and Wednesday I meet with a recruiter who searched me out online because of my writing accomplishments.

I'm also tired of sitting in general. When I can afford it, I'm going to get a small work out device like a stepper with a handlebar to be active while I watch movies. I'm sitting too much and my glutes are suffering. Because my quads are stronger than my glutes, my body is a little off kilter.

I'm going to get in touch with some people about my feature film script too. I have a place to send my one-pager and a martial arts contact was interested in reading the screenplay because he's a filmmaker.

Other than that, I have some research and cold calls to make for my internship. I also have some other tasks for another recruiter.

I feel better than I've felt in a long time.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...