Skip to main content

Merry Monday - Progress

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignleft" width="300"]merry_monday Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

I'm steadily making small improvements on my living space. I have the urge to paint. Mostly, I want to paint over the mural I started in my living room, so I can have more wall space for art. That sounds funny probably as I'd be painting over art to hang other art. The problem is that in one spot I used oil paint. I'm not sure if I can just strip that section? It's a small wall, so wouldn't be too disruptive in my already messy living space. It's slowly getting cleaner in here. One small corner at a time. I decided to break down the cleaning task into smaller pieces like shredding, clean shower/tub, dishes, stove, etc. This is helpful and less overwhelming.

I also want to paint my kitchen cupboards a light blue, but I need to finish fixing the drawers and use wood playdough on a piece that needs repair before I can even think about buying the paint. The kitchen is ultra tiny, so it needs to be a very light colour.

I started a course in trans-media. It's intriguing. I'm looking forward to learning all about it and seeing what I can apply to projects someday. Basically, as soon as a story is told using more than one medium, it is trans-media. Once a movie gets made from a book or a series of books is written based on a video game. Things like that.

My thread has arrived for my sewing business. I need to start that this week, but there are more pressing things being the cleaning and the school things.

On the school front, I need to do the next stage of OSAP application. Hopefully that will be easier than I fear it to be. As it has me going to the post office, I can return my post office box keys. Also, I think the knowledge gained from the course I mentioned above will help me in school.

As far as martial arts goes, I have much more learning ahead and I'm excited about it. Oh, and I really gotta stop playing with weapons in the house. It's never good to have glass raining down from the ceiling.

My script is plodding along. I am paying a lot more attention to movies and trying to infuse some artistic elements that I pick up on into my work. I do need to read more scripts though. I need to read more in general. I should dust off my Sony e-reader and put the PDFs on there as I don't like reading on a computer monitor or phone, but I don't want print them out either. Screenplays are interesting in that most are not exactly how the movie was produced. I meant to go to meet the Ottawa screenwriters but shyness, a lack of funds, and wonderful news made me stay home.

What wonderful news? My novel has made it to a second reading stage! What does this mean? More waiting. It's the closest I've been to publication yet and without getting my hopes up too high, I'm excited about it!!!

Fitness wise, I have been forgetting to put my Fitbit on for the last couple of days. Oops. I've started a plank challenge to continue the work of fixing my posture. Right now, 40 seconds is so hard, I can't see how I'll possibly make it to 300 seconds someday, but I think I can always take extra time at the lower ranges if needed. If it takes me more than 30 days, so be it.

Right, better get on that OSAP thing. Schools like money for some strange reason. Something about teachers wanting a salary and a building that needs maintenance or something like that.

Salut,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...