Skip to main content

Frisky Friday - The Well

[caption id="attachment_10523" align="alignright" width="300"]Screenshot_20170515-132753 Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

There is a well that is first dug at birth. As we gain experience in the world around us, it is dug deeper. Those experiences fill the well and mix with each other to create our identity. Some people avoid experiencing things and have shallow wells as a result. In order to write content that connects with people, one must have a deep well from which to draw inspiration. One must do things and interact with other people as much as possible when they aren't sitting in their chair hitting keys and forming words on a screen or mapping plots out on whiteboards.

Great erotica is no different. It's not about knowing 200 different words for genitals. Nor is it about knowing every kama sutra position or all the ways to say wet.

As writers, we are often told to write what we know. You have stories in you that others can't tell because we haven't lived your life. You also experience sex differently than others do.

While you don't need to have done everything you write about, you do need to experience things that bring about similar understanding. Maybe you haven't been whipped, but you have enjoyed being spanked by a partner. You can reasonably understand that some people enjoy pain and thus get away with writing about something more intense than spanking if don't get too detailed without interviewing people in the BDSM community who are really into it.

If you are a virgin who doesn't masturbate, you're going to get any sex wrong in your writing. You're going to base it on some porno or something you saw on TV, what you read about online, and your own ideas of what it is actually like. It will read hollow on the page. If you don't have much experience, you'll base it on those things and what you've done with one partner who may be a terrible lover.

If you are asexual and can't fathom how anyone could be so attracted to another person during dinner that they yearn to clear the table and jump the other person, then don't write a scene like that. Write one from a perspective that you relate to and help other people understand what sex can be like from that perspective.

Be safe, but experience things.

Salut,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...