Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - Inspiration

thoughtfulSomething writers get asked often is where we get our ideas from. It's different for all of us. For me, I get inspired by nearly everything. I'll watch a documentary and suddenly the synapses in my brain are coming up with snippets that could go in a story. I may not have the other pieces to make a full story yet, so I file it away.

Life is inspiring. Every event you attend can bring you ideas. If you stay holed up in your house and avoid meeting new people, you limit yourself.

Going on a trip, even within your own province, changes the scenery and suddenly you're surrounded by different people. Maybe you're all united by a common activity such as a martial art, but you're all different in how you talk and socialize. You may be at a table with doctors, artists, security guards, counselors, engineers, IT workers, teachers, accountants, Buddhist priests, students, park rangers, interpreters, etc. And they may be from Canada, the US, the UK, France, Chile, Japan, etc.

Sometimes I'll touch an object and get an idea that helps me flesh out a character.

With screen writing, I'm finding watching movies and anime to be helpful. Some shots are simply of a boat crossing sunlit waters for however long the director wanted it to be. But those images can add so much to the story. Movies and TV are a more visual medium than a novel. I'll often check what others have done in order to pick up other ways of getting my messages across.

Allowing yourself to feel can inspire you to create works that emotionally connect with other people. Connecting with others is one of the main purposes of creating any kind of art. Another purpose is to say what others find too difficult to say.

Art mimics life. This means that while some people use a lot of ums and ahs while speaking, it doesn't mean we should put an extreme amount of it in our dialogue. We want to take enough from life that our characters feel real, but not waste too many pages on meaningless drivel. I find this easier to accomplish in a screenplay because every word needs to have more impact.

Sometimes ideas come from reading about problems like pollution. Some of Miyazaki's work is obviously commenting on environmental issues. But how do you become passionate enough to be inspired to take up a cause? Often it finds us. Having experienced a variety of health challenges, sometimes I put something in my stories to provoke thought on a subject like food allergies. I also have ideas pertaining to family secrets that I plan to explore eventually. These are stories that are so particular to me that it would be hard for someone else to write about them.

You can also use plot generators, character generators, etc.

In short, I feel inspiration finds you when you least expect it, much like your soul mate does. Simply writing this post has given me ideas for one of my stories. How it will take shape is anyone's guess, but I think it'll be a fun addition.

Salut,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...