Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - Healthy Ways to Reduce Stress

thoughtfulOne of the reasons I'm able to get so much done in a week without losing my mind is that I make time for some self-care.

If, like me, you're feeling like there is a ton of stuff to manage in your life right now, there are many things you can do for even just 10 minutes that will help you recharge and give you that extra bit you need to tackle it all.

Here is a list of 20 healthy ways to cope with stress:

1. Yoga and/or meditation
2. Stress balls
3. Exercise/Working out (running, jogging, tennis, CrossFit, dancing, etc)
4. Martial arts
5. Human Contact (Hugs, Sex)
6. Reading
7. Sipping tea
8. Massage (whether professional or trading with a friend)
9. Laughing and Breathing
10. Knitting
11. Listening to music
12. Church
13. Hanging with a friend
14. Journaling
15. Playing with pets (toddlers can work too)
16. Creating something (painting, writing, carving, sewing, etc)
17. Taking a hot bath
18. A nature walk
19. Having an action plan
20. Getting help from a counselor

My top seven are in bold.

Martial arts puts me in a different place where I have to focus on my surroundings and forget about the stresses of the day.

Reading can transport you to another world while disconnecting you from technology. That matters because you won't have notifications or social media drama in your face adding to the mountain of stress.

Laughing and breathing are such simple things. If you take a deep breath in and hold it for 6 seconds before letting it go and repeat that 3 or more times, you'll start feeling better.

Music speaks to my soul in a way that nothing else does. The right music can change everything.

Journaling helps even if the reason you're stressed is because you have a crap ton of things to write. Why? It lets you get some of those other thoughts out of your head, so you can focus on the things you need to get done.

I love going on nature walks in warmer weather. There is something soothing about getting away from walls, technology, and other man-made things.

And that's how life's river flows today.
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...