Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - Intermittent Fasting

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

Each person's connection to food is different. I have friends who are vegan because meat makes them ill. I have a lot of friends who are gluten free whether Celiac, IBS, or wheat allergy. Most of my friends can eat whatever they want, but choose to restrict themselves for health reasons or weight-loss.

I've been researching Intermittent Fasting for awhile now and I think I'm going to give it a whirl. Not because I feel I need to lose a ton of weight, but because I think it would be beneficial for me for a number of reasons. I'm often too pressed for time in the mornings to eat breakfast and it's really not bad to eat a little less when you have IBS.

If you've never heard of Intermittent Fasting before, basically you restrict your eating to part of the day. There are a couple of methods. One of them is where you have an 8 hour period where you can eat and the rest is fasted. Like from noon to 8pm. Another method is to severely restrict on 2 days of the week. Another is to do a 24-hour fast once or twice a week.

The benefits go far beyond losing weight to reducing risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. It is also supposed to reduce overall inflammation and improve your cognitive function. Well, as long as you don't binge like a fool during your eating window anyway.

Between busyness and the ever present need to reduce inflammation along with a little extra on my tummy, I think it might be a good idea.

I suspect that I'll experience some hanger early on, but I hear that should also go away.

More on Intermittent Fasting.

And that's how life's river flows today.
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...