Skip to main content

Theatrical Tuesday - The Simpsons

Tuesday

In between coats of paint on my walls and trim, I'm watching episodes of The Simpsons from the beginning. I've only ever watched an episode here and there like the one where Lisa is sad and plays blues sax.

Lately, I keep seeing memes and such that predicted things would happen the way they are happening and that has me intrigued.

The first season has some really dark episodes. I mean, Homer takes off with the intention to kill himself in one of them. But it also has some really touching moments that show tough subjects. In one, Homer smashes Bart's piggy bank in desperation for a beer. Homer realizes he's being a shitty dad. In another, he sells the family TV to get cash for family therapy because he wants them to be more like other families and at the end of that one, he realizes a bigger and better TV is what is best for the family. In other words, they don't need to try to be like other families.

I've been reading that it gets bad after the 20th season. I'm just going to watch as long as I enjoy it.

There are some great lines that I'll undoubtedly forget. The music is also fantastic.

But you probably already know this. I'm just behind on a lot of things.

I think I stopped watching at one point because it's a little more political than some other shows. I used to really hate everything political.

It's got a realness to it that I'm liking too.

Anyway, I just thought I'd drop in here for a moment as it's reading week and I have some extra time.

And that's how life's river flows today.
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...