Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - Energy

bitmoji_goals

This weekend I went to Montreal to spend time with friends while practicing martial arts.

I struggled a little as the seminar was Muso Shinden Ryu and we practice Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. Some things are subtly different like how we block when doing Ukenagashi. Ours is more angled and we use the edge rather than the flat part to block with, for example. If you don't know the differences, you may go back to your own dojo and do things incorrectly. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me tomorrow.

At the start of the weekend, my energy was all wrong. I felt pretty depleted from school and tired of most things. Especially social media.

But also, my surroundings haven't been how I would like them to be and I think that has been disrupting my energy. And it's not just that I need to get rid of more stuff. That's part of it, but I realized that I was surrounded by a wall colour I chose five years ago partly because my ex never let me do such a thing. It was like it was more about doing something to spite him than it was about doing something good for me.

So, I'm repainting my walls. I've chosen a blue because blue has always been my favourite colour. It's a light blue-grey called sea spray that is very calming while being energizing. Depending on the time of day, it looks different and I like that. It's like it's more than one colour at once. My car is like that too. So are my glasses. I guess I'm drawn to things like that...

While the old paint is still bleeding through the new after one coat, it feels way better than it did. I can't stop looking at it. Here's a teaser:

before and after

With a six-hour wait time between coats, it's going to take a while to complete, but I think it'll be well worth the effort.

I also feel better after spending time with good friends enjoying sushi, sake, chocolate, and conversation.

I think I'll take tonight off and get back at the homework tomorrow. I'm going to try and get three things done during this break: a play review (mostly written because of the notes I took while watching it), a book review (still reading it, but making notes as I go along), and a hefty chunk of reading/analyzing of a movie for a presentation that's coming up. If I get all that done, I'll start writing my One Act Play and continue with my feature film. After all that is more work on the original TV show.

I got a little stressed thinking about all that, but then I looked at my walls and I felt calm again.

And that's how life's river flows today.
R~

 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...