Skip to main content

Cleaning

Now that I've cleaned my website, it's time to look at other areas of my life.

It's no secret to anyone who knows me or has read this blog that I've been struggling for a couple of years now.

Between a haywire body and a lot of life changes there have been a lot of days where I barely managed to get myself out of bed and some where I just couldn't.

Simple things like doing some dishes can be painful on my ever dry hands, so my dishwasher is helpful.

Actually scrubbing anything for more than a couple of minutes can be downright exhausting.

I'm also really sensitive to toxic chemicals. Definitely ones found in building supplies like insulation and I'm unsure what others.

And spending a lot of time cleaning takes time away from things I care far more about like writing and socializing.

So I made a purchase the other day that will make it easier to clean my home without exposing myself to extra chemicals.

I got a steam cleaner that can be a stand up mop or a hand held. It uses water and lessens the need to scrub. It cleans windows/mirrors, tiles, counters, stove tops, floors, carpets, etc. It can even clean toilets, though I'm not sure on that one. I don't see myself wanting to clean the attachments after being in the toilet. The outside of it would be great, though.

I can just take some rubbing alcohol to wipe down surfaces that need germs killed.

The cloths used are machine washable and reusable, so I'm not adding to landfill.

With no need to purchase cleaners, I also save money.

At $110, I think I made a decent investment.

It's even red to match several of my other small appliances.

This has been an overly excited boring adult moment brought to you by a steam mop.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...