Skip to main content

Updates Galore

Writing

I submitted a horror story on Saturday. It's a wonderful tale *possibly* involving cannibalism. After looking at the critiques from my writing group on another story, I'm slightly worried it's riddled with grammar issues though.

I'm unsure why I'm having trouble with grammar lately. Passive voice is likely creeping into my work because I've been listening to classic novels. I'm a little worried about this grammar issue. I used to tutor others in English. Hopefully I'm just going through a growth period. In any case, Purple Ribbons will need more fixes before it goes out the door.

Writer's group was tonight. We have several new members who gave great feedback. It's really nice having some new perspectives and varied experience.

I haven't heard about my novel yet, but they're a small team and I know it takes me a long time to read one book let alone several. Of course I'm eager to hear from them, but I'm keeping the project manager within me at bay.


Health

I'm starting to feel more energetic, but usually by Thursday I feel utterly exhausted. Hopefully I stop feeling exhausted simply from going to work soon.

I am producing a little more saliva, which is a great thing for my teeth. This is weird for me though. I feel somewhat like a newborn experiencing things for the first time. I also keep wondering if I'm drooling, but keep telling myself it just feels like that because I've been dry for so long.

Small movements make my muscles hurt, like just lifting my arm. Doesn't seem to matter how much water I've drank. Hopefully that lessens as it's really not encouraging activity.


Reading

I've got several books on the go. I'm listening to the Libravox recording of Dracula by Bram Stoker as part of research for my own tale. Also as research, and really sheer enjoyment, I'm reading Human by S. M. Carrière.

Also on the go are Isaac Bonewits' "Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism" and American Gods by Neil Gaiman. The guide is for my own spiritual growth, but will likely help me with any edits to The Page & The Magician as a bonus. I read an article that said writers often write specific stories depending on what point of life they are at. I guess I'm at the spiritual discovery point, which is on target for my age.


TV

I caved and for Netflix. I'm working my way through the old seasons of The X-Files. I was 12 when they first aired and there's a lot I don't remember. I also never finished the whole thing.

When I'm needing a break from that I check out movies I missed like The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo or Django Unchained.


Martial Arts

Didn't do much last week. Hoping to get back to it tomorrow evening. I was too tired to go to karate on Saturday, but tried to practice a bit of the second kata. I did something wrong with the reverse punch on my left side and hurt my bicep muscle. I read this happens commonly with shadow boxing on the off hand. Unfortunately that made me unable to use my arm much on Sunday and meant no iaido. Driving didn't hurt today though, so hopefully I'm good to go tomorrow.

Recently my grand sensei (my sensei's sensei) posted about how he still struggles with sword grip. It's very timely for me. I've been wondering if I'll ever fix my grip hahaha. Now I know I'll be working on it forever. Hopefully I improve to the point where my sword is definitely cutting most of the time. I'm only shodan, so I have a lot of work ahead of me. I'm not sure if it's reassuring to know I'll still be struggling with it should I ever make it to 7th Dan or not. That's iaido though. It's an art focused on continuous self improvement.


Music

I haven't been doing much in the past couple of months, but I've been getting back into my guitar this week.


Lots on the go. Getting back to normal is a wonderful thing, but I want to fit some reading in before bed.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...