Skip to main content

Progress

I've been really frustrated today. I have written some short stories and they have all gotten rejected. The usual spiel is that it's not what they are looking for.

Looking around at the market for short story anthology or magazine entries and nothing fits any of my stories, plus most want to pay something like $10 for a story I have spent months writing and revising.

I thought about putting my own anthology together, but that costs a lot of money, especially with the Canadian dollar being low right now. Who knows how long that will last?

So then I thought that many writers sell their short stories on Amazon. I can do this!

Next I thought I need some sort of book cover though. I knew I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a cover for a short story when I might not make any money on it. I searched online for stock photos, but many were more than I wanted to pay. As I don't have skill in turning a stock photo into a cover, there would be a lot of work for me to learn that skill, which would take me away from writing. According to Neil Gaiman, generally anything that leads to less writing is bad for the writer.

I stumbled upon a site called Canva, which lets you make your own covers, but it takes away the need to know a lot about working with graphics. In about 20 minutes I made a sleek cover and after I do some more tweaks to the story, I'll be ready to upload it on Amazon.

Well, I'm finally going to have my Robbie Burns Day haggis meal.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...