Skip to main content

Mid-Week Check-in

We're having some fun weather in Ontario today, but the drive to work was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The worst part of the morning was getting the ice off of Pixie (my purple-blue Kia Rio5). One of her back doors was frozen shut and I couldn't get it open. I tried to reach the scraper from the front seat, but alas my short arms couldn't reach it, so I tried once again to open the door. Pulling hard, I freed it from its icy binding,  grabbed the scraper, and went to work after starting Pixie. I think it was just at the beginning of this winter that I figured out the spikes on the scraper are for freezing rain. I'm not sure why it took me that long given that I'm from Northern Ontario, but at least I figured it out.

Harry Potter

Yesterday, my friend Jen and I started an Ottawa-area Harry Potter Society on Facebook. The group grew to over twenty people on the first day! I'm really excited about this and looking forward to sharing our love of all things Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling.

Why is the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie, so very far away?

Health

I was able to eat supper (homemade Chicken Pho), watch an episode of The X-Files, do iaido, and still have some energy left over on Tuesday.

I'm a little tired, but not exhausted.

Writing

I cleaned up Purple Ribbons and sent it back out to my writer's group.

I'm pondering the idea of doing a self-published book of short stories separated by their genre as I'd really like to have something to sell soon.

Comiccon 2016

The wheels are turning. The character has been chosen and I plan to start this week/weekend. I almost have my work area cleaned up and ready.

It's going to be a lot of work, but worth it.

I wonder if I can get my hair to grow for the role.

Time to go buy a piece of the underlying framework for the arms.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...