Skip to main content

April is Sjögren's Syndrome Awareness Month

It's the start of Sjögren's Syndrome Awareness Month and it's no joke.

For my first post on Sjögren's Syndrome, I'm going to list some key facts about it.

  1. It's pronounced "show-grins".

  2. The disease was first identified in 1933 by Dr. Henrik Sjögren.

  3. In the U.S. alone over 4 million Americans have Sjögren's, yet it is virtually unknown or completely misunderstood by the medical community. In contrast, only about 250,000 Americans have Multiple Sclerosis.

  4. 90% of sufferers are female. I'll talk more about this in a later post regarding Sjögren's impact on sexual intercourse, which may also help women who don't have Sjögren's.

  5. Those who have heard of it think it's just dry eyes and a dry mouth, but it's actually an autoimmune disease. Other autoimmune diseases you may have heard of include multiple sclerosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, celiac's disease, mixed connective tissue disorder, scleroderma, Epstein Barr, Addison's disease, Grave's disease, Hashimoto's disease, inflammatory bowel syndrome, pernicious anemia, Raynaud's phenomena, sarcoidosis, psoriasis, and diabetes. There are probably more than those and I apologize if I missed one.

  6. Sjögren's is actually the third most prevalent of all rheumatic autoimmune diseases, surpassed by Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

  7. The only celebrity that is currently known to suffer from it is female tennis player Venus Williams.

  8. The best resource for information on Sjögren's Syndrome is the Sjögren's Syndrome Foundation. They publish a handbook with the most accurate information.


More to come in the month ahead. There's a lot more to know, but I figured a little bit at a time is best.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...