Skip to main content

Merry Monday: Busy, But Happy

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignright" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

The Weekend

Health

This weekend started off with me feeling pretty terrible. My parotid salivary glands were hurting and I felt generally unwell on Friday. Saturday was better. I got blood work done in the morning as the rheumatologist wants to recheck the numbers to see if they've changed at all.

Writing

While in the waiting room, I wrote furiously, which continued when I got home. I have a list of ideas to build upon. I did some baking. I took a cinnamon roll recipe and made it into GF cinnamon muffins.

Geocaching

Then I went geocaching. I found two on my own and met a nice old man by the third. It was lucky I did as my app wasn't getting me close enough and I had lost my pencil during the hunt. I walked with him back to the caches I had already found and he told me of his caching adventures with his son. Apparently, there is a gondola in the Caribbean where you get a free drink for finding the cache. The bar is high up and the view is tremendous. The gondola owner owns the geocache. I think he said it was a multi. I'm up to 14 now, which is barely anything.

Guitar

I also watched some movies and played guitar. I played around with syncopation and palm muting. It was fun. I'm looking forward to my Squier Mini Strat in Torino Red. My acoustic has a bit of a buzz. It's a vintage cheapie Brantwood K-100. It's probably due for new strings. I strung it wrong when I first did it. Maybe I'll get a set when the electric comes in. They're probably about a year old now...

Martial Arts

Sunday my wonderful Sensei and Sempai helped curb some of my nerves by running me through a mock Taikai (tournament) in preparation for this upcoming weekend. My first attempt was horrible. Then it was the monthly B-Movie night where we watched an Easter-themed movie, Night of the Lepus.

The Week Ahead

Work

I have a challenging week ahead, which started with an early morning today. I normally begin work around 10 AM, but today I had to be there for 8 AM. I got there at 7:30 and the company I was to hand over our backups to couldn't take them because their processes are a mess. We'll see if it gets resolved tomorrow. They have messed things up more than once in the last couple of weeks, so I'm not holding my breath. I have another early day on Thursday. At least I'm mostly focusing on QA this week, which isn't strenuous, but some parts of it are very tedious.

I have another early day on Thursday and many back-to-back meetings. At least I'm mostly focusing on QA this week, which isn't strenuous, but some parts of it are very tedious.

Health

A month ago, I wouldn't have been able to get up in time for sure. Seems like the B12 has probably straightened out. At least I'm not frequently dizzy, completely exhausted, or so moody.

Martial Arts

The weekend ushers in a trip to the GTA for an Iaido seminar and taikai. Lunches are taken care of in the fee, so that makes things a little easier. Plans for dinner are arranged with good friends and I'm looking forward to a weekend filled with swinging my sword around and being with others who love this thing like I do.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...