Skip to main content

Wonder Wednesday: What are Romantic Relationships For?

[caption id="attachment_4713" align="alignright" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

A fundamental thing about relationships, that I think it's time to talk about, is their purpose.

A romantic partner isn't someone who replaces your mother or father. You should know how to cook, do laundry, clean, take out the garbage, etc. and not expect them to do it for you.

A partner isn't for completing your identity. You should know who you are. You should have your own goals and dreams.

They aren't your property. Even if you're married.

A partner isn't a replacement for a social life. You both need friends and it should not matter what gender those friends happen to be. If you see all your partner's friends as people they might have sex with the moment you're not hovering, you have personal issues that you need to deal with.

A partner NEVER attacks you. They don't physically or emotionally harm you. They don't say you'll never be able to accomplish that goal or that thing you love is stupid and only children love it. They don't embarrass you in front of others. They don't bring up your sex life at a party.

A partner is supposed to help you achieve your goals, but not at the expense of their own. You work with each other to both have fulfilling lives.

A partner is supposed to support you. They have your back. Sometimes this means getting directly involved. Sometimes it means showing you a new skill then letting you handle it yourself. Sometimes this means just listening to you and giving you a hug or just giving you the freedom. Maybe you do a little more of the chores when they're preparing for a major project at work or school. It almost never involves money.

A good partner also communicates. If something is bothering you, you talk about it with your partner, not with everyone else but your partner. If you're excited about something, let them know about that too. But, hey, it's a good idea not to wait until bedtime because the lack of sleep can make for a cranky partner.

A partner pushes you to be a better version of yourself, but they accept who you are today. They give you the freedom to be whoever it is you are. They might not have all the same interests as you. You need to have some things in common, but you are individuals too.

And you do all the same things for them, but not just because they do it for you. You do it because you want them to feel supported and loved too.

PLEASE NOTE: I have a very busy weekend ahead filled with travel and will not be posting a Funky Friday this week.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...