Skip to main content

Wonder Wednesday - What Does It All Mean?

[caption id="attachment_4713" align="alignright" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

Should a writer know the deeper meaning behind their book before they ever start writing it?


Some think so.
I don't work that way. I find it stifles my creativity. I find my characters won't open up to me if I try to force them into some box. I write stories about people. I figure out who my protagonist is, then I build the world around them. When I know who they are, the main story problem happens.


I only recently figured out that The Page & The Magician is largely a tale about learning to accept oneself. I didn't start there. I started with a character who had been through an awful marriage and was moving to the big city for a clean slate. Josy really wanted to live a boring government worker life, but she discovers she belongs to this whole other world that is far from boring. That whole other world scares her because she's scared of a lot of things.


The thing is that I didn't originally intend to write an urban fantasy romance. I tried to write something else, but it was lacking that special something. It needed more layers and depth.


JK Rowling created the dementors to be the force that keeps wizards from breaking out of jail. They represent depression. The deeper meaning behind it being that only you can drive away the darkness in your own life. The spell Lumos is another example of where she talks about the light driving away the dark.



She created dementors out of her own experience of depression.


I'm the kind of writer that needs to bleed onto the pages, for the most part. I need to have experienced something similar to write about it. I need to write what I'm feeling and not overthink the deeper meaning. I save that for editing.


Maybe that seems like I am writing in the dark with only a flashlight to let me see what is nearby, but it's working for me right now. And that's the thing. Writing is subjective. Really, it's whatever method works for you to birth that book. And that may change from book-to-book.


JK Rowling extensively planned the Harry Potter series, but she didn't start there. She wrote her first book at age 6 and another at age 11.


Just write the first draft and the rest can be figured out later.


Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...