Skip to main content

Merry Monday: Or is it Tuesday?

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignright" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

Sorry. I was exhausted after a weekend full of martial arts and my draft was only on my phone rather than the computer, so I went to sleep last night without posting.

Well, it seems Ottawa is having a cold spring so far as it was -16 C on Sunday, but I'm not letting it stop me. We're also expecting a huge dump of snow tomorrow, so I have a doctor's appointment, naturally.

I'm training a little more in martial arts now. I made it to karate on Saturday after meeting my Camp NaNoWriMo goal for the day. And on Sunday, I finally started Jodo before Iaido, which I'd been planning to do since January. At iaido, we did a really awesome partner exercise that involved throwing our opponent to the ground and punching them in the face. It was like an aikido meets iaido moment.

As sore as I am, my body mostly feels better. We did a lot of roundhouse kicks at karate and I think they helped loosen my tight hips as they feel better. It good to be getting back to being more active again. My right Achilles could use some Voltaren, but otherwise, I'm feeling great. Oh except for my abs. We only did 10 sit-ups and 10 leg raises, but my abs are killing me. I suppose the roundhouse kicks may have exercised my obliques as well. It hurts to climb out of bed in the morning, but in that good, making-my-body-stronger way.

I'm finished chapter 9 of 24 today after attending a write-in at Starbucks in my neighbourhood. I think I might start hanging out at the one inside Chapters in the future as it's very close to home. The dairy free white chocolate mocha was scrumptious, but a bigger size is preferable for next time.

I often feel like my early versions were written by or for a child, so there is much work ahead of me to make it appropriate for the readers. Someday I'll be finished revising... Not soon, though. As I was removing things, I stumbled upon a character that was almost written off, but I decided to give him a way more important role in the series. He went from cannon fodder to potentially an integral part of Josy's future.

Grammarly is arguing with me about the spelling of neighbourhood because it doesn't realize I live in Canada. It is, at least, helping me improve my comma usage.

On that note, I have an early morning tomorrow combined with a possible snow storm and need to go to bed early.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...