Skip to main content

Make It Monday - Clearer Goals

bitmoji_goalsGoing forward, I've decided to change the name of Monday's posts to better reflect what they're about.

 

And so, Make It Monday is born.

I've had a rough Monday, so far. I'm not sure if I should be happy or not that my nightmare was interrupted by the snow removal folks at 4:45 AM. I'd tell you what my nightmare was about, but I think it's going to become part of a writing project because it was both awful and fascinating.

Anyway, earlier this month, I received a document from the government stating I'm being audited. I've been very stressed about this. For whatever reason, I logged into LinkedIn last night and found a message from an old colleague. That led to me getting in touch with another old colleague and I now feel much calmer about this whole situation. I don't know how it will play out, but I know what actions to take on my end and that always makes me feel better.

So, goals wise, that might be a major stumbling block financially for me to finish school and get to the pitching trip we're to go on in March, but it could go another way entirely too. At any rate, I'm looking into all my financial options because I know I'll be a little short for April in terms of living expenses. Not great, but it is what it is.

I have one assignment left to complete by Thursday and one exam tomorrow morning. Then the semester is over.

Second semester looks scary on Mondays as classes start at 9:00 AM and I live on the other side of the city. I might have to make 5:00 AM a time that exists just to get breakfast and ensure I get a bus that doesn't make me late. First, I'll try packing a breakfast instead because I'm not a morning person. Also, that just seems much more sane. Only people with children should get up that early. Or shift workers.

I'm going to split today up between studying, financial stuff, and laundry.

I have put together a loose list of goals for the year, but school will always take precedence. They will start on January 14th. Here it is:

Health & Fitness

Iaido: 1-2 practices weekly at dojo; 1 hr weekly at home
HIIT: Once weekly
Dance: Once weekly
Yoga: Once weekly

Music

Guitar: 30 min daily
Trumpet: 30 min daily
Theory: 1 hr weekly

Writing

Screenplay: 2 pgs daily
One Act Play: 1 pg daily
TV Series: 2 pgs daily
Novel: 1 pg daily
Blog: 1 post daily minus Sunday; Video updates monthly
Learn: Read 5 pgs daily

Financial

And this is where I can't make goals yet. I want to pay off my car so I only have school debt, but that's likely not the way things are going. It's really close too, so that's frustrating. I'm going to set up a store for the short story anthologies I have currently though. I'm also going to aim for 1 sewn product a week and get my Etsy store going. I may also try to get a job through the school if I can't get bursaries or something along with the items I plan to sell.

And that's how it flows today.
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...