Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - So Many Battles

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

Budo is life and I'm fighting many opponents right now.

The battle for a routine is ongoing, but I feel like it'll smooth out soon. I expect it will probably be after next weekend when our fund-raiser comedy show is done. The skit I wrote this time is about a master of orgasm-fu, which takes a funny jab at chi masters.

Several of us were talking about our plans for after school is done and it's comforting to know that I'm not the only person in the class that would prefer not to move to the Toronto area right away, if possible. I think it's important to be prepared for it though, so I'm going to push forward on sorting through the multitude of things I own and hopefully sell some things on the weekends. And it's quite possible that in the distant future I'll need to go elsewhere, but writing is a career I should be able to do from anywhere unless I'm on a really popular TV show's team. I'm going to mainly focus on doing well in classes and see what happens. If I'm with the right people, it won't matter so much where I'm living. The thing I like about the Toronto area is that I have a number of friends there and an awesome dojo in the Oshawa and Peterborough area, so there would be more there than the job. But I have a lot of friends in Ottawa too. I think Oshawa is an hour closer to my parents and they're in their mid seventies, so that could be important in the future too. There are so many things to look at.

With the potential of work comes a need to dress better. I'm slowly refreshing my wardrobe with pieces I enjoy wearing more. I think looking and feeling my best will help me do my best work at school and elsewhere. I'm doing this as inexpensively as possible between thrift stores and sale items. I've also been getting back into bothering to wear makeup.

I met with my teacher today and she told me that they have no worries about my work or anything. I'm a little worried that part of my first semester success was having the extra five weeks of pure writing time that we won't have this semester. We have so much due over the next couple of days.

I feel like I'm getting home so much later than I used to, so I have less time to do my homework. I think that will improve once our comedy show is done as I'll have all of Wednesday morning to get some homework in before class.

My neck is sore for some reason, though it's a little better than yesterday. Some days I feel like I'll always be fighting with it just as I'll always be trying to improve my sword grip or cuts in iaido. I have no clue what I did to upset it so much. Perhaps I just slept in a wonky position.

As I need to finish the first act of my feature film, a theatrical scene, a one-pager for my original TV show, plus do a few other things like readings all before Tuesday, I think I need to take a couple days off of blogging, so unless some topics hit me on the head, I might not post again until Monday.

And that's how the river of life flows today.
R~

 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...