Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - The Etiquette of Commas

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

I meant to post yesterday, but I crashed out of exhaustion. Then I went and swung my sword around for a bit.

I had this thought today about writing screenplays and martial arts and came to, what I think is, a decent conclusion.

We often hear about how important having the scene headers correct and using proper grammar is. There are teachers that refuse to read further if you have errors like comma splices. Sometimes, it can feel like they're just mean-spirited. The thing is that there are many people like that in the industry. I don't want my work passed over because it was painful to read.

As I think about this more, I see the link to martial arts. Budo is life and life is budo after all.

What's the link?

Commas and whatnot are like etiquette. Sometimes it feels silly to place so much importance on something that seems so small. But small things add up to big things. In iaido, we spend a lot of time trying to perfect the handling of our sageo (sword cord). It's partly about showing respect for our equipment, but it's also about mastery. If we keep our cord, a rather floppy object, in check at all times, it means we can ensure we'll transfer that level of care into bigger areas and be able to stay alive or land that writing gig a lot easier. It shows respect for our teachers and our craft.

Last night, we practiced the Oku standing set. I'm not sure how much sunk into my brain as there has been a lot of homework lately and my mind feels drunk with knowledge that I don't quite know how to use yet. It was a good workout though and I enjoyed seeing my dojo mates.

Tomorrow I have to add 6 to 10 pages to my feature film as I may be hungover on Saturday after Friday's comedy show fund-raiser. I'm hoping it doesn't take 2.5 hours to get home like it did today. That was... Annoying.

And that's how the river of life flows today.
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...