Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - What's Our Business?

thoughtfulI've been thinking about war a lot lately.

It's a common precept that Western countries go across the world to fight battles in order to change another country's government. The idea there being that the only way for people to want to stay in their country is if the living conditions improve.

But should we be doing this? Does anyone even ask themselves this or do they simply believe their country's government is better and therefore that is what all other countries should have in place?

Is it not extremely vain to think Eastern countries should have a more Western style government?

People say they're doing it to make the world a better place. But are they actually doing this so we make the whole world more Western? If so, is it so we understand them better?

Are we doing it to seize power?

Western countries developed their governments, in part, through having their own civil wars. In Canada, we had uprisings in Ontario and Quebec before they were named as such. I think most people are well aware of the American Civil War.

But then I think that if most saw their neighbour beating his wife, they'd do something about it. That would either be stepping in or reporting it to the authorities. But unless the authorities catch him doing it and the wife wants to press charges, the police can only do so much about the situation until she's ready to make it stop.

So is it better then to let the people of these war torn countries rise up and create their own governments?

I don't know what the answer is, but I think it's important to think about these things.

I'm generally in favour in only helping when asked. Situations of this type are way more complex than most of us can imagine, in my opinion.  I mean, it's hard to understand my classmates sometimes, so how can I think I know what's best for an entire country's worth of people?

And that's how it flows today.
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...