Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - The Lost One

candle-1239891_640This week, Erik Karlsson of the Ottawa Senators and his wife Melinda are going through the pain of miscarriage.

Miscarriage isn't something people often speak of. It's unpleasant..

Its most common recommended course of action is to try again as if you lost Roll Up the Rim.

This pain is something I know first hand.

In 2011, it happened to me. I wasn't as far along as some, but we were nearly out of the danger period where miscarriage has a higher likelihood. We were almost ready to tell everyone the good news.

For me, the physical pain was not unlike menstrual cramping.

It was the emotional pain that I couldn't deal with. I think we stopped by a Pizza Hut on the way home from the hospital for food? I only remember the bathroom stall.

It's been nearly six and a half years and I am only finding the words now to talk about it.

Sometimes in pregnancy, a mom won't know she's pregnant. Sometimes they know right away. Sometimes it's very gradual. For me, it was gradual. Maybe it was all the extra vitamins, or maybe it was the hormones, but I felt the best I've ever felt.

Because a pregnancy is very much like the connection a parasite and its host has, other feelings can happen.

Imagine, the baby growing within is like a plant whose roots are spreading out in the dirt. Only, we don't have dirt within us. We have organs and such. When I miscarried, it was as if the plant was ripped out of me and my insides were torn to shreds. I didn't know even how I was feeling. It was all so confusing. So I couldn't talk about it.

Not even with my then husband.

Because I was so wrapped up in my own pain and confusion, I couldn't even consider how he felt about it. He seemed to be trying to make me feel better without being able to understand what I was going through and I didn't understand it, so I couldn't help him understand it.

Ultimately, given that we are such different people, I think it's a good thing that we didn't have children together. I often feel guilty for feeling this way.

It was one of the most painful things I've experienced.

I wish I didn't know what they are going through right now. I wish they didn't know the pain of it either.

The only advice I can offer is to be kind and loving to each other. You both feel it differently, but you're both going through it.

Also it's important to know that it's no one's fault. Most times, it happens because there is something seriously wrong with the baby that even our modern neonatal specialists wouldn't be able to fix.

This is one of the reasons I haven't been in a rush to get serious with anyone despite wanting to be with someone and wanting to have a family.

But I think even something as awful as this is easier to endure with the right person.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...