Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - The Bullied Become Super

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

Gotham tells a different aspect of the Batman story.

Not having an in depth knowledge of Batman lore, I can't say whether or not there's been a story before that covers Bruce's years from the time his parents were killed to when he becomes Batman other than the actual moment with the bats.

His story has always felt rather like Jesus's to me in that way.

But it is also vastly different. Bruce wanted to never feel weak again.

Everything he does that leads to him becoming Batman is because of that moment of powerlessness he experienced while he was unable to prevent his parents's deaths.

One of the things he decides is to learn to fight. He has a strong desire to stop bad things from happening ever again. What his specific qualifications are in terms of deciding right from wrong are unknown. He's a boy who is bullied briefly and seeks revenge.

He has a lot of hurt inside him.

In martial arts, we often talk about things like the 8 samurai virtues. They provide guide posts for being a good person and for how to be as a student of martial arts.

The thing is that many are fueled by much darker things like revenge, hatred, or greed. And some of the best warriors weren't honourable. One need only look at the story of Musashi and the oar to see that.

Musashi probably seemed to have supernatural powers to some people. He was undefeated and remains one of the most legendary swordsmen to have lived. But he, by all accounts, was just a man. A man whose career started out with those around him underestimating his abilities.

Gotham also shows us a young Penguin who was also bullied and underestimated. We see his early penchant for killing others. We see him rising into power.

Being a petite woman from a small town blue-collar family, I understand what it's like to be underestimated. I was also bullied as a child, but I learned to forgive those who did so. Most were young and it was the late 80s and early 90s when divorce was becoming frequent, but no one really knew how to handle it or make it easier on their kids.

Perhaps one day, I'll achieve some sort of greatness too. I felt super when I passed my Nidan grading in December. And I felt super last night until I stabbed myself slightly with my sword. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

And that's how life's river flows today.
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...