Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - Checks and Balances

bitmoji_goalsI'm sorry I dropped off the blog-o-sphere at the end of last week. I couldn't think of what to write on Friday and had to go to bed around 8 pm, which is about 4-5 hours too early for me.

Why did I have to go to bed so early?

I had a call time to be on a movie set for 6:00 am, which meant that in order to get there on time, I had to wake up at 4:30 am. I've rarely ever been awake for that time. Indeed, I've seen it so rarely that it could have been a figment of my imagination the other times.

The set work was very cool and I'll talk more about it tomorrow. I did get to work with some very awesome people, some of whom were from L. A. Maybe I'll see them again sometime. I did everything I was assigned and helped out other departments when I wasn't needed in my own. I worked 13 hours the first day and 7 the second. I was originally supposed to work more, but I was no longer covered for insurance because I got the amount of hours I need to graduate.

I spent a lot of time checking and rechecking my work to be sure I did everything I was supposed to. I really didn't want to screw up.

Also this weekend, I made my first royalties. How much? Forty-five cents. It's not much, but it's in the green instead of the red, so it's exciting.

Tonight, instead of having class this morning, we had Hot House, which is a play series where actors read our plays. Mine will be later this semester, so all I had to do was be there, which was a great thing after such a busy weekend schedule.

When I got home, there was a check for me. I got a bursary!

I'm in a lot of pain after the weekend, but some things are looking hopeful.

And that's how life's river flows today.
R~

 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...