Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - A Super Week

bitmoji_goalsWhy are we obsessed with Superheroes and the idea of being super human?

I think that part of it is because we think we could do all the things we currently can't.

There are goals that are often out of my reach simply because my quads aren't strong enough yet or there isn't enough time in the day. If I was fast like The Flash, I could achieve all my goals faster.

That doesn't mean it would be better though.

Some things would be.

I could travel much more quickly than the stinky and undependable bus.

Part of this condo thing for me is a chance to go through everything I own and decide what needs to stay in my life. That's the kind of thing that being super fast physically can't help me with. I'd like having my condo all painted. It would certainly be better to be done, but painting too fast sends drops of paint places that I don't want them to be as I've learned the hard way.

If I was super like a vampire, I wouldn't have to worry about food as much, which would let me spend my money on other things, but I might have a whole bunch of other problems like only night hours to do anything in. Also, people start to notice if you never age and stay in the same place forever. Then someone's trying to kill you because your lifestyle is different than theirs... Seems like a whole lot of things I'd rather avoid.

Super hearing or some kind of mind reading ability might let me find out how others feel about me, like a crush, but I might just hear that most people dislike me or think I'm a pathetic human. Unless my goal is to become the best gossiper ever, it's probably not great.

If I could fly like Superman, I could travel all over. That would be pretty sweet as long as there's no kryptonite nearby. Also, who has time to see the world if you're always busy saving it?

I think the only real options available to me are to put blood, sweat, and tears into my work and to be smart about knowing when to outsource pieces during the process. The best writers don't self-edit, for example. Also, some of the greatest artists had help like Michelangelo with his sculpture of David.

And there are so many people without superhero abilities that are wonderful! My friend is always making these cute bento box lunches for her son with heart-shaped cheese and little train-shaped sandwiches and such. I'm sure she seems like a superhero to him.

So how is this regular human doing on her goals this week?

Reno: Well, I've rearranged my living room and am going through the junk. My aim is to pitch or put away as much as possible, so I can paint when things are calmer.

School: This is a little hectic lately, but should calm down in a couple of weeks. I made the Dean's honour list with my 3.89 GPA and that feels great!

Music: I made a breakthrough on the weekend with my guitar that I'm happy about.

Finances: I haven't secured a job yet, but I have an opportunity and I've received some bursary money to help me survive for a couple more months.

Career: One of my plays is being read by actors tonight! It's one I wrote to pay respects to a friend I lost in October. I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how it is received.

I'm off to bake some cookies for the bake sale that is also tonight at the reading. I hope you have a super week!

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...