Skip to main content

Symphonic Saturday - Cleaning Up

music1As the summer begins its wind down on the second last long weekend before school begins, I'm frenetically decluttering my living spaces to create an environment that encourages writing and learning.

I decided that I was done with trying to grow fruits and vegetables on my balcony. It just doesn't work for me. So I cleared away the pots and loaded them into my car. I cleared the rest of the junk and swept. I've kept two small pots in case I want a few flowers for something pretty to look at while I sit outside enjoying a breeze and reading or writing. It's what I needed. There's a community garden nearby that I may be able to rent space from in the future if I can ever afford to anyway.

The rest of the work is inside my home. Paper to digitize or discard. Dishes and laundry that always manage to manifest into a mountain and threaten to overtake my living space. These remaining chores are always enhanced by music. And I love listening to vinyl while doing them. The need to walk over and flip the LP to the other side or choose a new one encourages a pause to take stock of where I've gotten. It also makes me stretch my legs, which is something I often forget while immersed in tales of characters battling dragons and themselves.

I'm hoping the wood returns to its normal colour, but here's my cleaned up balcony.

balcony

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I forgot I'm supposed to be in a webinar! I guess the music and the rest of the cleaning needs to wait a moment.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...