Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - Always Learning

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

On Sunday, I had a moment at martial arts where I learned I have been doing something wrong for 4 years.

These things come up sometimes.

What was it?

Standing up.

Yep. I know how that sounds.

We're supposed to be getting up and down with almost all of our weight on the balls of our feet.

Apparently.

At least I wasn't alone in this. A dojo mate and I had been putting much of our weight on our toes. Well, that led to him wondering why his big toe was sore all the time. Since I had injured mine before my last grading attempt, I wasn't wondering why it hurt, but rather if it would ever heal. Him asking the question gave us both important information. Thanks dojo mate!

Anyway, I need to relearn a basic thing. Initially, I was frustrated. I can't even stand up right! How the hell did I get this far? Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?!

We also noticed our right foot is great at telling when it's facing straight ahead. Our left feels like it's over-rotated and the heel is sticking out when it's facing straight ahead. Another basic thing to fix.

The thing I find most interesting about that one is that our personal perception is so different than reality. I love how much martial arts teaches me beyond the art itself as so much of it is directly applicable to life.

And these are things I can work on at home without the worry of smashing a light bulb overhead. I'm still finding glass. It's way less frequent, but still occasionally happening. I'm sure it'll end soon. Most things in life are temporary. This stumbling block in my training is temporary too.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...