Skip to main content

Theatrical Tuesday - Whatever It Takes Review

TuesdayI watched Whatever it Takes when I was visiting my parents this past weekend. It wasn't a good movie, but it could have been.

**** Spoiler Warning: I'm going to talk about the plot in depth. ****

It's biggest issues stem from two things I've been reading about; genre conventions and complexity.

  1. Genre Conventions: The movie was supposed to be a typical teen film where boys pursue girls to try and get laid. The twist? Two boys are setting each other up with girls that are outside their social circle. One is best friends with one and the other is related to the other girl. Naturally, the best friend finally realizes he's in love with the girl he's setting the other guy up with. Now, there are often humorous components to these films, but they're usually like shaving mishaps or awkward conversations with parents. What did we have instead? Hot girl must be crazy. She invites him to shower with her then freaks out at him when he tries to join her, then they're in the bedroom later and she has a funky rash on her toes. Later, she's camping out on his lawn begging pathetically to get him to go to prom with her after he dumped her when he realized he's in love with the other girl. Boy bringing guitar or accordion to serenade his love is depicted as good, while girl not ready for relationship end is crazy.

  2. Complexity: You know the prom is usually the moment when love is professed and then it's followed by the happy ever after. Not in this one. Nope, we have to go to the hotel after to figure out her answer to his accordion serenade because they were naturally having the dance on top of a hard pool cover, which opened up and swallowed a bunch of kids.


I've been reading a lot and these are things they recommend not doing. There are specific pieces that should be in a film based on it's genre and when you deviate, it makes it hard to sell and viewers get pissed off because they got something different than they were marketed. It's like selling someone a BMW online and when they get it, they have a Ford Fiesta instead.

There was also the way they depicted geek virgins. They had 3 stooge like characters that followed the protagonist around trying to do what he did to get the girl, which was to be an a-hole. Except they were extra bad at it to the point of setting one girl on fire. Because geeks are really dumb enough to think burning someone will get them laid. That was sarcasm in case it's not translating through text.

What this movie suffered from to me was a lack of picking one genre and realism. What school would sanction a prom dance on top of a pool cover? Not one I've been to. I was on prom committee and many other committees for cancer walks, mini-Trojan Day (Trojans as in war horses, not condoms), formals, sport banquets, drama festivals, etc and there would be no way in hell. It doesn't take that much for keys to get into the wrong hands. Liability is rather a big deal in terms of insurance and what not.

Other problems include casting an attractive and strong male as the geek guy. It's also chock full of stereotypes. The movie requires too much suspension of disbelief to be enjoyable and there aren't really any awesome lines or moments that connect with anyone who isn't shallow. There aren't many funny moments either that are genuine.

All in all, it didn't do whatever it takes to make a solid teen rom-com.

Anyway, that's my take. You might feel different though. The world is full of diverse viewpoints and that's generally a good thing.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...