Skip to main content

Merry Monday - Low Motivation

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignright" width="300"]merry_monday Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

I've been feeling pretty down lately between the ending of a relationship and the realities of being a student at a college that is on strike. It has been hard to keep up my usual positive state.

I never realized how much even the smallest instructions from my teachers help me do what I need to do. Maybe it's also their constant genuine encouragement that helps me get my work done. I know I've been struggling without them. I really didn't think this would happen to me as I can normally write without the need of a deadline.

Truthfully, I think part of it has been the stress of a relationship that was stuck in limbo. The rest? Not having been taught how to do the things that I need to do. The internet is good, but a mentor can teach the same thing in less time because you can ask questions instead of plodding along in the dark with only a candle to light the way.

I'm finding my groove again though. Watching Beyond Stranger Things has been helping as they talk about how they go about adding little details to the scripts like an election sign or using Dig Dug as a game to thematically mirror the tunnels in the show. That has helped guide me to do similar in my treatment for a South Park episode and cut things that don't relate to it. It will likely help me to write my feature film documents as well.

Speaking of my feature film documents, I'm going to use NaNoWriMo to do them via the NaNo Rebels method. The final script may only be 20k or so, but with the beat sheet, the treatment, and the rest I'm thinking it may be close to 50k. It's always best to get any words down at all even if I don't reach the goal. Because I'm doing the NaNo Rebel path, I can use anything I write in November in my word count. I'm pretty sure with all of my assignments, I can get up to 50k. Really, all I care about is getting shit done.

Well, I'm zonked and I need to get some work done later. I meant to post this on Monday, but got busy with comedy show stuff and a birthday dinner.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...