Skip to main content

Merry Monday - Another Busy Weekend

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignright" width="300"]merry_monday Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

My weekend was packed with learning, socializing, and martial arts. On Friday and Saturday, I attended Can-Con 2017. I had a fantastic time seeing old friends and made a few new ones. There were many panels over the weekend and I learned a lot of things such as that beer was literally a chunk-filled "smoothie" they used straws to drink in order to avoid the chunks at one point in history. Gross. The earliest was made in China, not Egypt as many think. To learn more about beer, check out Black Creek Brewery. Oh, apparently it's also unclear whether or not beer or bread came first.

I've come out of the weekend with a list of Canadian Horror films I should check out, a list of absurdist UK comedies to watch, some screenwriting facts that I haven't heard at school, some new perceptions about the world as it may be for others, some books to read, and a new appreciation for George A. Romero. I also enjoyed a lot of laughter with friends I haven't seen in a while. I even have a few story ideas to file away for later, which is always a good thing.

The panel I was on didn't have a large audience, but we had fun and I have some strange stories to post in my flash fiction area later this week.

Thank you to the organizers. This con has grown a lot and I always enjoy going. It gets better every year.

On Sunday, I was part of the Ottawa Welcomes the World event held at the Horticulture building at Lansdowne, which is next to Jack Astor's if anyone ever needs to find it. My dojo demonstrated kata and other techniques in front of a large crowd of people. I was a bit nervous as I haven't been making practices lately with homework and such, but it went well and we had a captive audience.

I have a few story ideas to file away for later, which is always a good thing.

Many drinks were had over the course of the weekend and a nap was needed when I got home.

I felt like I had to stay up late to find out about the strike. I also needed to relax after the busy weekend, so I tried a few TV shows. I didn't find anything I really liked and I ended up watching Death Note while mending a pair of comfy pants. I found the romantic subplot a little hurried and twisted, but otherwise I enjoyed the story. It was fluffy enough that I didn't have to think much, which is good after a weekend filled with learning and emotional stress, but had enough complexity that I wasn't bored. I could tell it was an anime plot based on the backstory of 'L' though. There were a lot of plot twists that had me captivated.

It turned out that I didn't need to stay up late to find out. As of 9PM, the strike was on. What a sad way to end an otherwise wonderful weekend. That's life sometimes though.

I slept in this morning to recover from Can-Con. Despite the unfortunate situation, the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day.

It's time to rustle up some food and then head to class to meet with my peers to figure out what to do about it.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...