Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - Wars



I struggled to figure out what to say all day yesterday. We were told that unless things are settled by this Sunday, the teachers are striking as of Monday. 
This isn't something I can do anything to stop. Just like I can't do anything about Mr. Pumpkinhead to the south or his Korean counterpart. 

But there are other battles I can fight and win. I can read my books and scripts and use the information to help me write my assignments and continue learning. I can clean my home. I can fight for relationships that are important to me. I can do the things I'm supposed to that are recommended to keep my Sjogren's in check. I can use tools like Tylenol Complete to help me get through the last day of class this week. I can make good choices that help me accomplish the goals I have like reducing my sugar intake and exercising. 

There's a lot I can do to get through the chaos in the world right now. The biggest thing is keeping a positive attitude. Yes, I know strikes can last months, but they can also be resolved in a day or two. 

I can also be supportive of the teachers. The media tries to paint a picture that it's about pay, but it isn't. Many of the issues are things like the colleges trying to give themselves a loophole that would let them make all teaching positions part-time  contracts, so they never have to give teachers things like benefits. So when they offer a pay raise and ignore all the actual issues, they're being shitty and trying to make the teachers look greedy. Imagine an entire faculty where no one has job stability and can be fired with only two weeks of notice no matter how long they've been working there. 

The whole situation sucks for the students either way. Who would choose to teach except the less experienced under such a system? 

There are many other things they are fighting for that are listed here. 

It's time to get ready for school. 

Guid cheerio the nou,

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...