Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - Life



Sorry for not posting yesterday. I've been incredibly busy. I've reached the point in my schooling where one assignment is completed and replaced by three others. It's the point where I'm also doing extra things like lining up work placements. Noticing I've been falling behind in readings, I cleared a space for that on my dining room table. 

I'm getting closer on having the rest of my place clean. At least, I keep telling myself this. Usually what happens is exhaustion. We do have a long weekend this weekend in Canada. It's Thanksgiving on Monday. I'm not visiting family because I did that in September instead and I can't afford that kind of time away from my studies. 

At least my plumbing issue might be fixed now. That was earlier in the week. I have a few more things to get done this week like returning the case I ordered for my tablet as the wrong size came. My proper keyboard cover is here, but I can't pick it up until tonight according to the slip. I also need to drop off the cheque for the seminar space tomorrow after I meet with a man at a TV company about potentially doing some of my placement hours there. They're in the same end of town. 

Hockey has returned. I'll likely be tuning into the Habs game this evening. 

All this busyness doesn't distract me from the bad stuff going on in the world. What happened in Vegas was horrifying.  When mass shootings happen in the US, I always wonder how a culture so similar to ours can be so different. There are a lot of people with guns up here yet the frequency that mass shootings happen is so much lower. Is it because it's written in their constitution? Is it because their population is larger? Do they just not know how to solve problems without bullets? 

I also question a lot about the event itself. So much doesn't make sense. The man was a multimillionaire who had no taste for weapons. He liked to party and enjoy the finer things in life. You'd think there'd at least be someone at a shooting range who knew him if he was this into guns. Also, how does anyone break glass that is supposed to stand up to hurricanes? His lack of military training to pull this thing off is strange too.
I suppose all of this and the recent sudden loss of an old friend is what had me wake up at 5AM in existential crisis fearing my own death. I feel like I'm close to finally really living my life. I'd really like to do that. 

I don't have a lot of answers. I'm actually leery of people who are overly certain about such things. There are too many variables to be certain in my opinion. I suppose some choose a side if only to avoid waking up the way I did this morning. Some questions don't have answers and others I know I'm not the right person to answer. 

That said, it's time to get ready for school. 

I'll try to at least post a picture or link on the days I'm too busy in the future.

Guid cheerio the nou,

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...