Skip to main content

Symphonic Saturday - RIP Fats Domino

rest-in-peaceWhile Canada still mourns the loss of Gord Downie, the world now reels at the loss of Fats Domino, aka The Fat Man.

It's quite likely that there are many out there who don't realize just how many musicians were influenced by the music of Fats Domino. I thought I'd say a few words, so others can understand just how great a loss he is to music as a whole.

Ska pretty much wouldn't exist as a genre.

Fats also invented bling.

The Beatles had mentioned his influence on them on numerous occasions. Paul McCartney did a rendition of Ain't That A Shame. They even made a song called Lady Madonna in tribute to Fats and Fats did his own version of it.

Even Elvis claimed The Fat Man as an inspiration to him.

Countless artists have done covers of his songs over the years including punk artists and even Vladamir Putin.

There have been a number of tributes to his music over the years. Here's one. Here's an entire playlist of tributes from people including Tom Petty, Elton John, and Lenny Kravitz.

It's hard to be sad while listening to such upbeat music. I guess that was part of what Fats did for the world too.

Someday, I hope to be able to play some of his songs.

I'll leave you with this Blueberry Hill compilation.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...