Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - Pondering Existence

thoughtfulI'm in a philosophical mood today. Someone on a sci-fi page asked why people hate creationism so much, but I don't think that's the most interesting piece of it all.

The thing is that many of the people who frequent such places love stories about things like aliens, but can't conceptualize a being so far advanced to us that could've created all we know to exist. They feel a need to analyze the problem with our current understanding of the world because it's all we have.

Yes, the idea of an all powerful being such as God, is a bit of a Deus Ex Machina plot device, but so is thinking of other beings in terms of our own systems that we've created. It's very possible that we are as simple to something out there like single-celled organisms are to us and therefore, our science would be of limited use to understand them or conceptualize much of anything. To compare them to a painter that would have an obvious style we could see elsewhere and be able to identify them is still in our very human framework.

I think this has come about from our need to humanize monsters in order to tell stories people actually enjoy. Perhaps this has done a disservice to us in the broader sense of existence. Perhaps there are many things out there that are so completely non-human that we'll be in an awful place someday as they make us food or servants. Maybe they haven't made us food because we aren't nutritionally sound. Maybe our planet doesn't have the kind of resources they need or we're so far away we'll be the last place they come once there is nothing else left.

Of course, we could all just be part of the matrix and awaiting the chosen one who will take the red pill and save us all.

I also think one of our biggest weaknesses as a species is that we spend more time trying to prove each other wrong than we do trying to find truth. Truth often leads to a necessary change in thinking and most humans are change averse, which may be deep within us from our caveman days. This is something I learned about when becoming certified in LEAN. Aliens could be very different from us in this regard too.

To have any hope of finding out the answers to questions like how we came to be, we'll need to put aside differences and unite as a species. Some differences exist and can be medically relevant. We can't have a standard diet for all humans as food allergies exist. There are even theories that suggest your blood type influences the foods that cause you problems. Certain races were once more likely to suffer from certain conditions though that may be changing.

I don't have any answers. These types of questions often plague my mind, but the answer may be to simply enjoy the time we have on this planet as it's really brief in the scheme of things and we don't know if there is anything after this. Many of us like to think there is a heaven because it's comforting to know there is something after this, that the point of consciousness isn't just to live for a few decades then cease to be. We may never know if there truly is something else, so I think it's important to spend each moment wisely.

There are people that suggest settling for things that don't make you happy is the thing to do because no one has found happiness. I don't understand those people. I feel like they'll wake up in their 80s and realize they should've went after their dreams.

Speaking of dreams, I have homework to do.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...