Skip to main content

Theatrical Tuesday - Rapid Learning

TuesdayWell, today was a different kind of day. Much of the day was spent preparing for what seems like an imminent strike by college faculty across the province. In an effort to cram as much as possible into us before this week is over, our teachers have fast tracked a couple of lessons to give us some basic skills with software like Final Draft. They're also making as many resources available to us as possible through the system before they are unable to access the system as we'll still be able to access it while the strike is happening. So we'll be able to write the bulk of our assignments though we won't be able to hand them in or get graded.

Today, we started our 7-10 page episode treatments, which are like, well nothing I've written is like them exactly. Perhaps somewhat like a short story only written in a specific way. Each paragraph is a scene and the goal is to write it in present tense with some dialogue snippets here and there. It's like writing an expanded synopsis. It might be a screenwriter's version of pseudocode. I think that's a good way to think of it actually. Software developers do several documents before writing the actual application. There's a Statement of Work (synopsis), a Requirements Document, Pseudocode (treatment), then the actual application which may have many versions (screenplay/script plus drafts). Oddly, I think the equivalent to a Requirements Document is the shooting script, which is made just before production happens and is often revised as needed on the fly. It's like a dynamic project plan at the same time.

We also did a writing exercise to get the basics of Final Draft. Some of the templates seem wonky to me. The one stage play template comes filled with sample text and I have to delete that to use it. The TV templates don't always seem to behave, but it's probably just that it's new to me. There are things I like about Final Draft and things I prefer in Scrivener. Technically I can export to Final Draft format from Scrivener. I might do that for my feature film since I already started writing it in the summer. I'll play around with it and test it out.

I feel bad for my friends who are in programs that need constant teacher interaction. They won't be able to continue working during the strike.

For us, it's training us into the writer life if we aren't already used to it. I suggested write-ins and such as I know a number of people in the writing community do their best work with others there pushing them to succeed.

It's kind of unsettling to me how much of my future is unknown. I'm a planner by trade and I can't plan a damn thing lately. I planned to get this diploma and get a job I enjoy more. What happens? Likely strike. I meet a great man. What happens? Scheduling issues plus the uncertainty of future career stuff. The only things I'm certain of are certain feelings I have.

Maybe the cosmos is trying to tell me to live for today and tomorrow will work out somehow?

I've been watching the Child's Play series of films lately and they're giving me ideas on scene order and other things for my feature film. So is actually reading the screenplay bible... Yeah, I know. I got behind on that one. Actually, I'm behind in most readings. That's one of the things I can do while the strike is on too.

Anyway, I'm starving and exhausted. All I can do is do my best and see what tomorrow brings.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...